Match summary

Manchester United 3 - 1 Fulham.

Fulham’s hopes of a first FA Cup semi-final for 21 years self-destructed during a crazy seven minutes when they had two players and manager Marco Silva sent off as Manchester United came from behind to win in dramatic circumstances. 

Silva’s side were leading 1-0 thanks to Aleksandar Mitrovic’s 50th-minute goal and dreaming of a Wembley date with Brighton only to implode amid shocking scenes at Old Trafford.

After Willian handled Jadon Sancho’s shot on the goalline in the 70th minute, referee Chris Kavanagh was sent to the pitchside monitor by Var Neil Swarbrick.

But before Kavanagh had even reviewed the footage and decided to award United a penalty, Silva shouted something at the referee and promptly sent off, and sparked mayhem in the process.

Kavanagh then signalled for a penalty and showed Willian a red card for his actions only to be accosted and shoved by Mitrovic seconds later. Mitrovic brandished another red card immediately, at which point Fulham’s striker completely lost his head and began hounding the referee.

A huge melee ensued with players from both sides involved as Mitrovic continued to tear into Kavanagh. At one stage, Fulham’s first team coach, Luis Boa Morte entered the pitch and tried to drag Mitrovic away, only for the striker to go back for more.

When order was finally restored, Bruno Fernandes coolly dispatched the penalty to draw United level and, two minutes later, Erik ten Hag’s team were ahead, Marcel Sabitzer scoring his first goal for the club as he turned home Luke Shaw’s cross. Fernandes added his second and United’s third deep into stoppage time to compound Fulham’s misery.

De Gea made a brilliant save to keep out an effort from Antonee Robinson early in the second period, before Willian brought an even better stop from Man United's goalkeeper moments later, with Fulham continuing to look dangerous down the home side's right.

The visitors did take the lead in the 50th minute, though, when the dangerous Mitrovic converted from close range after Diop had flicked a Pereira corner into a dangerous area at the back post.

Fernandes had one deflected just wide of the Fulham post in the 54th minute after being found by Rashford, with Man United looking to launch a fast response at Old Trafford.

De Gea had to keep out another header from Mitrovic in the 64th minute, before the two players again went head-to-head two minutes later, with the goalkeeper flying across his goal to make the stop.

Sancho had a strike deflected wide of the Fulham goal in the 68th minute, before the attacker had one cleared off the line by Willian following a fast counter-attack.

A VAR check showed that Willian had used his hand, though, with the referee going across to the monitor before awarding a penalty.

Fulham lost their heads, with Willian handed a straight red card for the handball, before Mitrovic was sent off for pointing his finger in the referee's face and then shoving him.

Cottagers head coach Silva had also been sent off for his conduct when the referee was checking the monitor, with the visitors receiving three red cards in quick succession, and it was then up to Fernandes to attempt to level the scores.

The Portugal international found the back of the net with his spot kick to make it 1-1, and Man United were left needing one more against nine men to advance to the final four of the competition.

Sabitzer then made it 2-1 in the 77th minute, with the on-loan Bayern Munich midfielder converting from close range with an excellent flick after Shaw had picked out his teammate inside the box.

Leno kept out a late effort from Sabitzer, before Antony just failed to convert after dancing into the Fulham box, but the Red Devils scored a third late on through Fernandes, and it was a comfortable finish for the hosts due to their two-man advantage, with Ten Hag's side advancing to the semi-finals of the FA Cup.

Next up for Man United is a trip to top-four rivals Newcastle United in the Premier League on April 2, while Fulham will continue their league season away to Bournemouth on April 1.